What’s not to love about fruit? Well, in addition to their mouth-watering taste, many of them pack quite a punch when it comes to health benefits. The next time you visit your local farmer’s market or produce section of the grocery store, take a moment to eye up the fruits that you would normally pass by.
There are so many delectable fruits – some of which you may have never even heard of — that provide numerous health benefits. From fruits rich in vitamins C and A to fruits that are packed with enough potassium and fiber to balance out your well-rounded diet, it’s time to take a second look at those strange super fruits that are sure to provide you with numerous health benefits – and a delicious snack!
- Passion fruit – The passion fruit’s name is almost as good as its taste! Yummy smelling, passion fruit is usually egg-shaped and can be found in numerous colors, including purple, red and yellow. This super fruit is rich in Vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and fiber. In addition, this super fruit is just 16 calories per piece of fruit! Many people agree that passion fruit tastes very similar to guava. To eat passion fruit, simply cut the fruit in half and eat the pulpy center, including the seeds.
- Star fruit – This beautifully shaped fruit is, yes, shaped like a star and is usually yellow in color. Star fruit tastes like a cross between a citrus fruit and a plum and contains just 40 calories, making it an ideal snack or as a part of any healthy meal. The star fruit is rich in Vitamin C, and is entirely edible, so you can just cut it and eat it!
- Acai – Acai berries have received a lot of attention over the past couple years and are now widely available. The acai berry comes from a palm tree in the Brazilian rainforest, and is small, dark and round; about the size of a blueberry. Many people think that acai tastes like a cross between chocolate and berry. It is usually found in drinks or in its dried form. Acai is revered for its anthocyanins and essential fatty acids, thereby providing many health benefits.
- Mango – Most of us have enjoyed mangos before, as they are quite tasty and widely available. This egg-shaped fruit is rich in Vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber and are enjoyed by peeling away the skin and removing the large seed in the center. If you want tropical taste, then mango is the perfect super fruit for you!
- Papaya – This pear-shaped fruit may be medium or large in size and is about 118 calories per fruit. Papaya features a soft fruit that is quite sweet and is a great source of Vitamin C, folate and potassium. Papaya also contains papain, an enzyme that is beneficial for protein digestion.
- Pomegranate – Many people avoid pomegranates because they don’t know how to eat them. This deep red fruit is cut in half and the seeds are eaten (they are the only edible part of the fruit). As serving is just 80 calories and the taste is tart and crunchy.
|0 Disqus Comments|