Maui Fair Parade to Impact Bus Schedule
By Wendy Osher
Bus routes and schedules will be altered next week Thursday, to accommodate the 2011 Maui Fair Parade.
The 89th Maui Fair will open with the traditional parade down Kaahumanu Avenue on Thursday, September 29th beginning at 4:30 p.m. The fair continues with rides, food, entertainment and more through Sunday night, October 2nd, 2011.
The fair parade will result in a partial closure of Kaahumanu on September 29.
Maui Bus service will be re-routing and eliminating specific stops on that day with the following changes planned:
- Lahaina Islander(Lahaina Bound): Eliminating the 4:40 and 5:40 p.m. Wells Street and
Waikapu stop from the Queen Kaahumanu Center heading to Lahaina.
- Kahului Loop Route #5: Eliminating the 2:32, 3:32, 4:32, and 5:32 p.m. Harbor Lights/Maui College stop from Queen Kaahumanu Center; also eliminating the 4:35 and 5:35 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops.
- Kahului Reverse Loop Route #6: Eliminating the 2:53, 3:53, 4:53, and 5:53 p.m. Harbor Lights/Maui College stop going to Queen Kaahumanu Center; also eliminating the 4:49 and 5:49 p.m. Roselani Place and Papa Avenue/Kea Street stops.
- Wailuku Loop Route #1: Eliminating the 4:40 and 5:40 p.m. Maui Memorial Medical Center and Maui Lani Parkway stop; also eliminating the 4:23, 5:23, and 6:23 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops.
- Wailuku Reverse Loop Route #2: Eliminating the 4:03, 5:03, and 6:03 p.m. Kanaloa Avenue stops.
Officials with the Maui Department of Transportation say the remaining bus routes will operate as normal with some deviation in street routing; but will continue to serve all other existing bus stops.
Bus passengers can expect delays in pick-up times, due to the increased traffic during the parade.
Maui Bus Commuter Parking Temporary Changes:
The Maui Bus Commuter parking, normally allowed at the War Memorial Stadium parking lot will be relocated to the Kahului Boat Ramp during the Maui Fair from Tuesday, September 27 through Sunday, October 2.