By Maui Now Staff
The County of Maui has published a list of tree-cycling locations this year, giving residents disposal and recycling options.
The drop-off tree recycling sites are free unless otherwise noted. If no date is listed it means the sites have ongoing recycling operations.
The list also includes curbside pickup options for residents that want to save a trip to a recycling facility.
The list was prepared by the Maui Department of Environmental Management, Recycle Maui County section.
Tree-cycling Drop-off Locations on Maui include:
- Central Maui Landfill EKO Compost, 1 mile mauka of Hansen Road in Puunene, Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Maui Earth Compost on Pulehu Road at Hansen Road, in Puunene, $5 fee per tree.
- Maui Earth Compost off of Piilani Highway behind the Kihei Wastewater Reclamation Facility, $5 fee per tree.
- Olowalu Recycling and Refuse Convenience Center, Honoapililani Highway and Olowalu Village Road, Monday to Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Doris Todd Memorial Christian School, 519 Baldwin Avenue, drop off trees in the school parking lot on Janurary 7, 2012, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $5 per tree and all proceeds benefit the school.
Curbside Pickup Locations on Maui:
- Rotary Club of Upcountry Maui, curbside pick-up service serving Kahului, Paia, Haiku, Makawao, Pukalani and Kula starting January 7, 2012. Cost is $10 per tree. Call by January 5, 2012 to schedule a pick-up. Kahului residents call 573-9260, Kula, Pukalani and Makawao call 568-0131 and Paia and Haiku residents call 878-2177.
- Kihei Boy Scout Troop 22, curbside pick-up service in Kihei only starting on January 7th, 2012. Please call Gary at least one day in advance for pick-up at 280-4817. Cost is $10 per tree and all proceeds benefit Troop 22.
Off Island Tree-Cycling:
- On Molokai trees should be taken to the Molokai Landfill greenwaste area off of Maunaloa Highway between mile marker 3 and 4. Free drop off times are between Thursday, Friday and Saturday only from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- On Lanai residents are asked to drop their trees off in front of the City Nursery to the right of the gate to the green waste tub grinder. Trees can be dropped off at any time and motorists are asked to follow the signs posted in the area and to please pile the trees in an orderly fashion.
ALL tree recycling locations require that people remove all ornaments, lights, hooks, tinsel and other inorganic matter from the tree before recycling them. None of the facilities will accept flocked trees.
For more recycling information contact the Recycle Maui County Hotline at 270-7880. Those on Lanai and Molokai can call toll free at 1-800-0125 and 800-272-0117 respectively and ask to be transferred to extension 7880.
***Information courtesy County of Maui.
0 Disqus Comments