Powered By UNISYS
( Click to Close )
Maui    News & Information Hub
HEADLINE NEWS Weekly Newsletter
News

Homeless Man Accidentally Sparks Cooking Fire in Lahaina

Share |
   March 23rd, 2012 · No Disqus Comments ·
Facebook Comments
· Maui News

File photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A brush fire in West Maui overnight was accidentally sparked by a homeless person attempting to light a cooking fire with a propane torch, said fire officials.

The fire was reported at 12:48 a.m. on March 23, at the end of Prison Street on the mauka side of the Honoapiilani Highway in an area of heavy brush, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

The 50 by 50 foot fire was brought under control at 1:15 a.m., and extinguished at 1:57 a.m., according to authorities.

The flame accidentally ignited a tarpaulin, according to Chief Mainaga, and the man was injured when he unsuccessfully attempted to put out the fire.

The homeless individual suffered minor burns to his hands and was treated and released by medics on scene.

Some of the man’s personal belongings were lost in the fire, according to authorities.

HEADLINE NEWS Weekly Newsletter
0 Disqus Comments
Facebook Comments
    Recommend This Article
    You Might Also Like

    Tags

    Comments
Editor's Note:Maui Now is an open forum and we welcome any views. However, please apply your sense of aloha when posting comments - remarks that are unnecessarily offensive will be blocked.

 
By publishing a comment, you are acknowledging that you are personally responsible for its contents.


Loading Facebook Comments