22 Maui Volunteers Recognized for ServiceApril 17, 2012, 11:50 AM HST · Updated April 17, 11:51 AM 0 Comments
By Maui Now Staff
Maui Mayor Alan Arakwa issued a proclamation announcing this week as National Volunteer Week in Maui County.
A total of 22 volunteers were nominated and honored by the Mayor for their loyalty and drive in helping others through the county volunteer programs.
Two VolunTEEN Heroes were selected for the Outstanding Leadership Awards, including:
- Kelly Takushi of Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc for his underage drinking prevention efforts; and
- Jillian Strong of Big Brothers Big Sisters for her mentoring volunteer work.
Other VolunTEEN Heroes honored include the following:
- Alyssa Pascua of Best Buddies Hawaii;
- Kyeton Littel of Maui Food Bank;
- Makena and Raven Gadient of Imua Family Services;
- Maria Peralta of Boys & Girls Club of Maui;
- Nalei Sampson of Nature Conservancy & Maui Nui Marine Resources Council;
- Palani Keanu Santos of Olowalu Cultural Reserve;
- and Rachel Pascual of County of Maui Parks and Recreation Department.
Adult Volunteer Heroes honored include the following:
- Blair Boucher of Lanai Animal Rescue Center;
- Chaplain Pua Hashimoto of Friends of the Chaplain;
- Dale Stewart of Pacific Whale Foundation, David Jorgenson of Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc.;
- Diane Brittain of Imua Family Services;
- Linda Quinn of Lahaina Complex Tutoring Project;
- Margaret Enomoto of NaHoaloha – Neighbors Helping Neighbors;
- Perrisa Kilmer of Maui Food Bank;
- Suzanne Freitas of Waste Not Want Not Foundation;
- Terence “Terry” Tomas of Maui Nui Botanical Gardens;
- Tom Worthington of the American Red Cross; and
- William Mercer Richards of Hali’imaile Community Garden.
The awards were issued during a Celebration of Service event hosted by the County of Maui’s Volunteer Center on April 16, 2012.
Individuals and organizations that were honored included those who are dedicated to taking action and creating solutions for their communities. All volunteers were honored with Certificates of Appreciation, leis, and goody bags.