Maui Fire Prevention Week Features Jaws of LifeOctober 8, 2012, 9:55 AM HST (Updated October 8, 2012, 12:30 PM) · 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
In observance of fire prevention week, firefighters on Maui will host two public demonstrations featuring the jaws of life and a live burn.
The first will be held this Friday, Oct. 12 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Horseshoe Pit Field in the Keopuolani Park, Wailuku.
The show will include the presentation of fire safety messages, with guest appearances by Sparky Dog and Smokey Bear, a static display of fire trucks and equipment – including the Maui Fire Department’s Air 1 helicopter – and demonstrations of fire fighting skills and rescue tactics.
A similar event will be held next Friday, Oct. 19 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Recreation Field by the Lahaina Aquatics Center.
More than 800 children attended last year’s demonstrations, along with their teachers and parents.
The Maui Fire Department offered the following tips for making a plan:
- Make a map of your home. Mark a door and a window that can be used to get out of every room.
- Choose a safe meeting place outside of your home and include it on your escape plan; this is where everyone meets once they’ve escaped.
- Write the emergency telephone number for the fire department on your escape plan.
- Have a grown-up sound the smoke alarm and practice your escape plan with everyone living in your home.
- Keep your escape plan on the refrigerator and remember to practice it with your family twice a year.