Makawao Elementary Among Finalists in State Awards
By Wendy Osher
The cafeteria staff at Makawao Elementary School on Maui and one of the school’s administrators are in the running for two prestigious awards issued by the state Department of Education.
Susan Harper, the curriculum coordinator and Success for All Facilitator at Makawao Elementary, is one of four finalists for the DOE’s Sustained Superior Performance Award.
One of the four awardees will be honored with the department’s Employee of the Year award at a banquet this afternoon.
Others being considered for the honor are:
- Catherine L. Kaide, school food service manager, Hilo Union Elementary, Hawaii District;
- Daralyn Ramos, personnel regional officer clerk, Central District Office, Office of Human Resources; and
- Donna Therrien, district support teacher, Castle-Kahuku Complex Area, Windward Oahu District.
Makawao Elementary School’s Cafeteria Staff is also being recognized as an awardee for the DOE’s Team Excellence Award of Merit.
The team consists of: Stephanie Bayne, Sandra Calasa, Tiffany Calasa, Kwi Ae Esquibel, Phyllis Freitas, Antoinette Robinson, Nancy Shimabukuro, and Ashley Waipa.
The Makawao team is among four teams across the state being recognized today. One of the four will be named the DOE Team of the Year at a banquet this afternoon.
Other teams being considered for the honor include:
- Kaʻala Food Services Team, Kaʻala Elementary School, Central Oʻahu District: Arleen Asato, Derna Duarte, Pearla Kesolei, Kaiulani Kinoshita, Susie Lee, Georgette Ralar.
- School Administrative Services Assistant Academy Team, Office of Fiscal Services: Cindi Akuna, Curtis Chang, Adele Chong, Kevin Drake, Erin Ebisuya, Earlyne Harada, Scott Jeffrey, Miki Kamimura, Tammy Keller, Lynn Kitaoka, Karie Klein, Rie Kodama, Gail Morimoto, Gail Nakaahiki, Elden Nakamura, Frances Pitzer, May Price, Lawrence Suan, Coleen Tanaka, Adri Wilson, Tracy Yoshikane.
- Waiʻanae Complex Student Services Coordinators, Oʻahu District: Kelly Kalinowsky, Grace Lorenzo, Kathy Mitchell, Gail Nakao, Mary Stamps, Mariko Thompson, and Kristy Wagatsuma.
DOE officials say the Incentive and Service Awards program, “recognizes DOE employees who have made special and continued contributions to improve the quality and effectiveness of public schools.”