VIDEO: UH Mānoa Recognized in Prestigious College RankingsSeptember 15, 2015, 3:20 PM HST · Updated September 16, 5:23 AM 0 Comments
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa was identified recently in both national and international college ranking lists, affirming the university’s reputation, according to school officials.
UH Mānoa ranked above the national average in several categories under the College Scorecard. It also moved up three spots to 161 in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2016 ranking, and received global recognition for its research excellence on the international front.
Chancellor Robert Bley-Vroman commended the university and the state saying they have a lot to be proud of:
“I think that this shows that we’re really one of the world’s great universities. We have a ways to go but I think we’re really on the right track. We’re constantly improving and we’re definitely moving in the right direction,” said Bley-Vroman.
In terms of a student’s cost to attend, Bley-Vroman said UH Mānoa is actually ranked below the national average, creating a “dynamic combination of high-ranked programs and a reasonable cost.”
College Scorecard: UH Mānoa ranked above the national average in several categories under the College Scorecard, which was released this weekend by the White House.
· UH Mānoa surpassed the national average for students repaying their loans (88%, compared to the national average of 67%), according to the US Department of Education.
· UH Mānoa also surpassed the national average for salaries after attending college ($44,300 annually, compared to the national average of $34,343).
· The University rated highly in terms cost to attend with the average annual cost at UH cited as $11,102 annually, lower than the national average of $16,789 annually.
· Student retention also fared well with 78% of UH Mānoa students returning after their first year, compared to 67% nationally.
· Graduation rates were another plus with 56% of students going on to graduate at UH, compared to the national average of 44%.
US News and World Report. Last week, US News and World Report noted that UH Mānoa had improved three spots, moving up from 164 last year to 161 in the publication’s 2016 ranking. US News surveyed 1,800 colleges among over 3,000 four-year institutions across the country.
International rankings. UH Mānoa received global recognition for its research excellence in recently released international rankings.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities, based in Shanghai Jiao Tong University, ranked UH Mānoa in the range of 66 to 78 in the US, and 151 to 200 globally. With 1,200 of the best research universities in the world under consideration for this ranking, UH Mānoa places in the top 1% worldwide out of over 20,000 universities.