Lahaina Ferry Pier Improvements Focus of Public Meeting
Maui legislators Representative Angus McKelvey, Senator Rosalyn Baker, and the Department of Land and Natural Resources are jointly hosting a public informational meeting on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016, to provide an update on the design of the proposed Lahaina Small Boat Harbor ferry pier improvements.
The meeting will run from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Nā Aikane O Maui Cultural Center located at 526A Front Street in Lahaina.
The new interisland ferry pier will be located approximately 70 feet to the north of the existing public pier at the Lahaina Small Boat Harbor. It will be approximately 115 feet long and 20 feet wide and will be on piles.
- Construction will also include the following:
construction of a shade roof involving four open-sided, roofed structures 14 feet in height, connected by three open trellises on the ferry pier to shelter passengers during arrivals and departures;
- construction of two sewage pump out stations;
- construction of a concrete gangway measuring 16 feet by 70 feet to connect the existing pier with the new pier structure;
- replacement of the existing harbor administration office; and
- resurfacing of a portion of Wharf Street to facilitate safe passenger/pedestrian movement in and around the small boat harbor.