Three Maui Watermen in Quarterfinals at Sunset Beach ProFebruary 22, 2017, 2:54 PM HST (Updated February 22, 2017, 2:58 PM) · 0 Comments
Finals day is approaching at the 2017 Sunset Beach Pro. In what promises to be a spectacular final day of action at stop No. 1 of the Association of Paddlesurf Professionals World Tour, seven Hawai‘i surfers remain.
The level of performance this year has once again sky rocketed, with all global regions stepping up to be counted as the rounds have progressed. Now that it’s down to the Final 16, and with the forecast shaping up to provide an epic finish (large, long period NW swell), we wanted to take a closer look at the Contenders for the Title at this year’s Sunset Beach Pro.
Hawai‘i is well represented in the Final 16 with a star studded cast of characters still remaining in contention for the Title as we come into Finals Day:
- 1. Maui’s Kai Lenny: 4x Sunset Beach Pro and World Champion, Kai is looking sharp and focused on the prize at stop No. 1 of the APP World Tour
2. Maui’s Bernd Roediger: A finalist last year and looking stronger than ever this year as he puts himself well in contention with a consistent display of performance surfing
3. Maui’s Kody Kerbox: always competitive and always strong at Sunset, and put on a stellar performance to get into the Quarterfinals with a heat win against Kai Lenny
4. Mo Freitas: Stand out over the past few years and poster boy for the 2016 Sunset Beach Pro – a serious threat particularly at home on the North Shore
5. Robin Johnston: a major contender through the early days of the APP World Tour, and thoroughly at home at Sunset Beach – could cause some real upsets
6. Pomai Hoapili: Hawaiian Water safety professional and phenomenal surfer on all craft, Pomai’s experience at Sunset has been clearly on display this year
7. Jesse Brown: one of the exciting new talents emerging from Hawai‘i and looking to make his presence felt – has a great read on Sunset and skills to match
Whatever happens, the Hawaiian contingent will be gunning for the Finals and to bring the Sunset Beach Pro Title back to Hawai‘i this year after two years in the hands of 2x World Champion Caio Vaz – it will be a battle to remember.
The Australians have also thrown down the gauntlet, with just two athletes remaining out of what was a strong Aussie contingent.
Two Australians remain in the quarterfinals, James Casey and Keahi de Aboitiz. Never has an Australian won the Sunset Beach Pro Title. It has only been won by Hawai‘i and Brazil.
Also in the quarterfinals is Giorgio Gomez, the last remaining U.S. contender, Benoit Carpentier, the last European contender, Sebastian Gomez (PER) and Poenaiki Raiotla (PYF).
Last year’s winner Caio Vaz also remains in the quarterfinals along with Carlos Bahia and Marcio Grillo from Brazil.
Watch it LIVE and catch up on anything you have missed here.
The next call will be at 7 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 23, with a new swell scheduled to build tonight and peak in the morning, with favorable wind conditions.