Ask the Mayor: How Do I Get Permit to Build in Flood Zone?

March 5, 2018, 10:25 AM HST · Updated March 5, 10:27 AM
1 Comment

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his staff.

Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at, (808) 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Mayor Alan Arakawa,


Q: I want to build a house on my family property, but it’s located in a flood zone. How do I get any needed permits to build in a flood zone?

A: You will need to have a flood development permit application prepared by a licensed professional engineer and architect and submitted to the Planning Department for review. You can find information on the application form and process online at Under permits, Applications & Reviews, click on “Development” and then select “Flood Development Permit.”




Share this Article

Weekly Newsletter

View Comments