Lahaina 2nd Friday Celebrates WhalesMarch 8, 2019, 8:35 AM HST · Updated March 8, 8:36 AM 0 Comments
This month’s Lahaina 2nd Friday Town Party will be held on Friday, March 8 at Campbell Park from 5 to 8:45 p.m. and on Saturday, March 9 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Kamehameha III Elementary School.
The Whale, Ocean and Arts Festival celebrates the annual migration of humpback whales to the Hawaiian Islands and features live performances, art exhibits and food products that celebrate this theme.
A variety of live performances will be featured on Friday, March 8 on Front Street including:
- Johnny Ringo at the Cool Cat Cafe, 7 to 10:30 p.m.
- Evan Schulman at the Pioneer Inn, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
- Maui Jam from 5 to 8:15 p.m. at the Main Stage
- Ka ʻImi Naʻauao O Hawaiʻi Nei from 7:15 to 8:15 at the Main Stage
- Naturalist Speakers will give Whale Talks from 8:20 to 8:45 p.m. on the Main Stage
- Keiki Zone at Campbell Park
- Coconut Leaf Weaving by Maui Grown 808 at Campbell Park
- An art walk featuring appetizers and talk story throughout Front Street’s participating galleries.
- Candlelit tour of the historic Baldwin Home Museum will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
On Saturday, March 9, a keiki “Whale and Ocean” art contest will be held at Kamehameha III Elementary. Artwork will be on display from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and winners will be announced at 2:30 p.m. Prizes will be provided by local merchants.
In addition, marine research groups will provide talk-stories to learn more about humpback whales and marine life.