Malama Pu‘uwai runs from October 13 – November 17 2010October 13, 2010, 8:41 AM HST · Updated October 18, 9:07 AM 0 Comments
The Malama Pu’uwai cardiovascular wellness program begins today (Wednesday, October 13, 2010) an runs through November 17th, 2010. The six-week community program is offered by the Maui Memorial Medical Center. It is free and open to the public, however, pre-registration is required, and space is limited.
Sessions run on Wednesday evenings from 5:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at Maui Memorial Medical Center.The Malama Pu‘uwai program focuses on education, healthy food choices, exercise, screening and referrals. It is aimed at promoting wellness through early detection and modification of cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Participants must commit to a six-week program with meetings held once per week for two-and-a-half hours. After the six-week program, three and nine month follow-up newsletters will be mailed, and at six and 12 months follow-up meetings will be held. This schedule will allow continuous contact with participants over a 15-month period. The following is offered as part of the program to participants free of charge:
- Health Assessment and Lifestyle Profile
- Blood Pressure evaluation
- Body Mass Index
- Ankle Brachial Index (if indicated)
- Laboratory tests- Blood glucose, Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL etc.
- Counseling with RN concerning assessment data and results of screenings
- 30 minutes of exercise each week
- Healthy food choices
- Referrals to health care professionals as appropriate
- Education on Cardiovascular risk factors including- Hypertension, Diabetes, Tobacco & Chemical Effects on Health, Stress Management, Fitness, Nutrition and Motivation to Change
- Assistance in lifestyle goal setting and strategies
- A healthy meal is offered at each session and is sponsored by the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation.
For more information or to register for Malama Pu’uwai, please contact Kim Finney at 243-3047.