Molokai Machete Incident Results in Propane Leak

February 6, 2012, 5:40 AM HST · Updated February 6, 7:12 AM

By Maui Now Staff

Residents of Kahalemua Housing Complex in Hoolehua were evacuated on Saturday afternoon because of a leak in a 2,000 gallon propane tank.

Fire officials say the supply line was ruptured when the owner of a unit was weeding in the area and hit the gas line with a machete at around 12:08 p.m.

Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said fire crews provided vapor suppression with a hose line and turned off the main valve to the propane tank.

Gas Company crews arrived just before 1 p.m. and repaired the line.

Residents were allowed to return when the area was deemed safe.


Share this Article

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments