2013 Charity Walk Raises $789,816 for Maui CountyMay 13, 2013, 9:13 AM HST · Updated May 13, 10:02 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The Maui Visitor Industry Charity Walk held in Wailuku over the weekend raised $701,716, according to preliminary figures released by event organizers.
When combined with walks on Lanaʻi and Molokaʻi, preliminary totals indicate the annual event raised $789,816 for Maui County, according to information released by Maui Hotel & Lodging Association Executive Director, Lisa Paulson.
“This past Saturday was an amazing day of the community coming together to raise funds for the community, enjoy time with friends, amazing entertainment, good food and wonderful prizes,” said Paulson in an email communication to MHLA properties and allied members.
The funds raised will benefit dozens of charitable organizations in Maui County that provide services to the community.
The individual raising the most funds was Betsy Scheller who brought in more than $15,000; the most funds raised by a business was the Bank of Hawaii with more than $22,000; and the most funds raised by a non-profit was the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation with more than $65,000 raised.
A complete list of top fundraisers for the event this year are listed below in various categories:
Individual Raising the Most Funds:
- 1st Place: Betsy Scheller: $15,165
- 2nd Place: Peter Tierney: $13,692
- 3rd Place: Mitch Mitchell: $12,765
Business Raising the Most Funds:
- 1st Place: Bank of Hawaii: $22,773
- 2nd Place: Monsanto: $4,033
- 3rd Place: VIP Foodservice: $3,592
Non-Profit Raising the Most Funds:
- 1st Place: Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation: $65,857
- 2nd Place: Ka Hale A Ke Ola: $65,548
- 3rd Place: Hale Makua: $41,106
Hotel Property Raising the Most Per Employee:
- 1st Place: Maui Condo & Home Vacations: $408/employee
- 2nd Place: Kahana Falls: $257.14/employee
- 3rd Place: Kaanapali Beach Hotel: $53.44/employee
Property Raising the Most Funds:
- 1st Place: Grand Wailea: $63,530
- 2nd Place: Hyatt Regency Maui: $26,442
- 3rd Place: Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club: $17,500
The next Maui Charity Walk is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 10, 2014.