Overnight Flooding Reported Across Kahului
By Wendy Osher
Crews from the Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety responded to multiple calls for assistance and flooding due to heavy rains reported early on Sunday morning, Nov. 10, 2013.
Below is a log of incidents required fire department response:
- 12:54 a.m.: Report of flooding at 399 North Market Street in Wailuku at the Living Way Church building near the Happy Valley Apartments. Fire crews from the Engine 1 in Wailuku and Hazmat 10 in Kahului responded to the scene.
- 1:21 a.m.: Report of flooding at a home located at 349 Holua Drive in Kahului. This is in the subdivision west of Lihikai Elementary School. Fire crews from Engine 10 in Kahului responded to the scene.
- 1:29 a.m.: Fire alarm 315 Hoʻohana Street at Da Kine Herb Farm. Crews from Rescue 10 in Kahului responded.
- 1:36 a.m. Report of flooding at a home located at 336 South Kamehameha Avenue in Kahului. Crews from Engine 14 responded to assist.
- 2:03 a.m.: Report of flooding at a home located at 458 Aleo Place in Kahului. This is in the subdivision west of the Queen Kaʻahumanu Shopping Center. Crews from Rescue-10 in Kahului responded to the scene.
- 2:12 a.m.: Flooding reported at a home located at 738 Pala Circle in Kahului. Crews from Engine 10 in Kahului responded to the scene.
- 2:16 a.m.: Report of flooding at Market Street in Wailuku. Fire crews from Hazmat-10 in Kahului responded.
- 2:18 a.m.: Report of flooding at a home located at 309 Palama Drive in Kahului. Fire crews from Engine-14 responded.
- 2:25 a.m.: Report of flooding at the intersection of Puʻunēnē and East Kamehameha Avenue in Kahului. Rescue-10 responded.
- 2:18 a.m.: Report of flooding at the Hāna Highway and Dairy Road intersection in Kahululi. Crews from Engine-13 were called for response.
- 3:12 a.m.: Report of flooding Pūlehu and Hansen Road intersection in Kahului. Engine-10 from Kahului responded.
- 3:10 a.m.: Report of flooding at the Hāna Highway intersection with Hanakai Street near Alive and Well in Kahului. Crews from Engine-10 responded.
- 10:48 a.m.: Report of fire alarms at Safeway Maui Lani. Fire crews from Rescue 10 in Kahului responded to the scene.
According to Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga, no injuries were reported. Authorities say an unknown number of homes sustained water damage due to the flood waters entering residences.
At 1 a.m., trained weather spotters reported two inches of rain over a one hour period in an area four miles west of Kahului. Forecasters with the National Weather Service say radar at 1:30 a.m. showed heavy, stationary rain near Kahului as well. Earlier in the evening, at around 12:18 a.m. forecasters say a rain gauge showed heavy rain falling at 2 inches per hour near Waiheʻe or about 8 miles northwest of Kahului.
Forecasters from the National Weather service also say radar at 3:14 a.m. showed heavy rain continuing over the warning area, and the rain gauge at Pukalani reporting rain falling at a rate of 2 inches per hour.
Some residents in the South Maui area of Kīhei also reported flooding conditions from highway runoff into their yards and homes makai of the Piʻilani Highway.