$130M Secured for Kīhei High School in Draft Budget
By Wendy Osher
House lawmakers from Maui today issued an announcement saying they have secured more than $460 million in capital improvement project funds, including $130 million for the construction of the long-awaited Kīhei High School in South Maui.
It was the largest single item included on the list but was accompanied by other high ticket items of interest including: $72.6 million for land acquisition and planning of the proposed Kīhei-Upcountry two-lane highway; more than $32 million for the design and construction of a new parking garage at the Maui Memorial Medical Center; and appropriations of around $20 million each for the acquisition of land parcels at Līpoa Point and capital improvements at Hāna Harbor.
“Even as recent projections on growth for the state are tempered, we still need to evaluate our priorities to ensure that public funds are spent where they are warranted and most needed,” said House Speaker Joseph Souki of Maui in a legislative press release.
Despite a lowered forecast by the Council on Revenues, Speaker Souki remained positive saying, “that should not frighten us into taking no action, but motivate us to sharpen our pens so that we spend prudently, making the most of the dollars we do have.”
According to state lawmakers, construction of the Kīhei High School is expected to begin in 2015. “Full funding will allow bidding on the whole project, saving the state millions of dollars,” according to the legislative announcement.
The list of items highlighted by House lawmakers were included in draft supplemental budget that has since been transmitted to the Senate Ways and Means committee for consideration.
All items of the House draft budget, including line items, and CIP money must be agreed upon by both the House and the Senate.
House lawmakers released the following list of highlights of CIP funding secured for Maui:
- $130 million for the design and construction of a new high school in Kīhei
- $2.5 million for the planning and design of a new middle school in Central Maui
- $6 million for the design and construction of a new pipeline system for upcountry Maui watershed.
- $2.7 million for the planning, design and construction for the Maui Food Innovation Center at the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College campus.
- $6 million for the acquisition of land, and design and construction of a state agricultural park in upcountry Maui.
- $700,000 for the design and construction of two portable classrooms at Haʻikū Elementary School
- $14 million for the construction of a new auditorium at King Kekaulike High School
- $75,000 for the design and construction of pedestrian safety improvements at Lahaina Intermediate School
- $75,000 for various pedestrian safety improvements at Nahienaena Elementary School
- $9.7 million for the design and construction of the Central Maui Region Park and Sports Complex
- $20 million for the acquisition of land parcels at Līpoa Point, the purchase will preserve the land for future generations
- $1.5 million for the construction and purchase of equipment for an outdoor playcourt at Kalama Intermediate School
- $4 million for improvements to the track & field and stadium at King Kekaulike High School
- $1.2 million for the design and construction of two portable classrooms at Makawao Elementary School
- $750,000 for various improvements to Maui High School, including to the weight training and wrestling room, and the band and choir room
- $100,000 for landscaping at Pukalani Elementary
- A total of $5 million for the plans, design and construction of site improvements and infrastructure of a master-planned mixed use development in Pūlehunui
- $32.5 million for the design and construction of a new parking garage at Maui Memorial Medical Center
- $950,000 for the construction of phase 2 of the Easter Seals Maui campus
- $370,000 for the replacement of wooden piers at Māʻalaea Small Boat Harbor
- $5.5 million for the construction of a replacement building to support various departmental divisions and programs
- A total of $800,000 for sand replenishment at Kāʻanapali Beach
- $10 million for the construction of a new access road to Kahului Airport from Hāna Highway
- $6 million for capital improvements that will provide for safer and more efficient use of operational areas at Kahului Harbor
- $20.5 million for environmental planning and the construction of capital improvements for better operational areas at Hāna Harbor
- $3 million for the construction of shoreline improvements to include shoreline erosion mitigation and roadway work at Honoapiʻilani Highway
- $8.5 million for the realignment and widening of Honoapiʻilani Highway from Lahainaluna Road to the vicinity of Launiupoko
- A total of $72.6 million for the land acquisition and planning of a new two-lane highway from Kīhei to Upcountry Maui
- Almost $5.5 million for the rehabilitation of a concrete bridge on Honoapiʻilani Highway in the vicinity of Honolua Bay
- $3.08 million for the construction of miscellaneous improvements to existing intersections and highway facilities necessary for improved traffic operation
- $3.25 million for construction to extend the left turn lane at Makawao Avenue to Haleakalā Highway and to construct pedestrian facilities
- $2 million for various improvements along Maui highways including guardrail and shoulder improvements
- $10 million for the widening of Puʻunēnē Avenue from Kamehameha Avenue to Kuihelani Highway from two- to four-lanes, and for the installation of safety improvements.
- $180,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of Puohokamoa Stream Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $235,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of Kōpiliʻula Stream Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $1.11 million for the rehabilitation or replacement of Makanali Stream Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $200,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of Mokulehua Stream Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $195,000 for the rehabilitation or replacement of ʻUlaʻino Steam Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $200,000 for Hāna Highway improvements in the vicinity of milepost 28.1
- $2.6 million for the design and construction of various improvements along Hāna Highway from Huelo to Hāna
- $1.1 million for the rehabilitation of Kailua Stream Bridge along Hāna Highway
- $2 million for the plans, design and construction for improvements to the Molokaʻi Irrigation System
- $400,000 for the planning and design of a Molokaʻi Athletic Center
- $521,000 for improvements at Kalaupapa Settlement on Molokaʻi
- $599,000 for the rehabilitation of Makakupaia Bridge to include railings and other improvements
- $1 million for guardrail and shoulder lane improvements along state highways on Molokaʻi
Legislative officials say the budget will not be final until after conference committee, and upon final passage by the state Legislature, which traditionally occurs in the final days of the session.