Maui Film Festival Kicks Off With Foodie Event
By Vanessa Wolf
The annual Maui Film Festival is almost here.
The festivities kick off with the Opening Night Twilight Reception next Wednesday, June 4 at Capische? Restaurant in Wailea.
The event features a variety of chef-run stations highlighting different foods, cultures and culinary preparations.
In that spirit, the newly opened The Market by Capiche is featuring their assortment of house-made products, while Il Teatro prepares and serves
- Braised Maui Cattle Short Ribs,
- Capische Mushroom Truffle Risotto,
- Pasta Pomodoro and
- Malama Farms Pork Tortellinis with Kula tomato ragu, Piave cheese and basil salad.
Other cooking stations are organized based on preparation and style, like the “Dirt to Mouth” offerings, which include
- Beet, Fennel and Berry Shooters
- Crispy Island Fish with Carrot Vinaigrette and Roasted Carrot
- Hana Cherry Tomato Salad.
Nearby, the Crudo Station is serving
- Caesar Crudo,
- Calamanzi and Foie Crudo, and
- Hawaiian Chili Crudo.
Follow the smoke signals and find Grilled Ahi with Sicilian spices and ratatouille or Seared Kampachi with Hawaiian chilies, tomato vinaigrette and lemon gastrique at the Grill.
Best of all, if you’re the kind who prefers to skip straight to sweets, the Dessert Station has got you covered with
- Hana Lilikoi Tart,
- Strawberry Shortcake,
- Bomboloni Donuts, and
- Tropical Sorbet with macadamia nut brittle and coconut.
In addition to food, Na Hoku Hanohano Award-winning Guitarist Benny Uyetake will be performing.
The event starts at 5:30 p.m. and tickets are $125, but organizers note that they could increase at any time.