Maui’s Shep Gordon Given Maui Film Festival’s Maverick AwardJune 5, 2014, 9:42 AM HST · Updated June 6, 4:32 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
Maui’s own Shep Gordon was honored during last night’s opening night of the Maui Film Festival in Wailea.
Gordon was the centerpiece of the film Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon directed by actor and comedian Mike Myers, which made its Maui premier at the event last night.
The film is described in festival material as a “candid portrait of a man who has lived it all and has vividly experienced the fickle nature of fame.”
Gordon, who is known for his work managing celebrities and entertainers, has shifted his focus to “compassionate business,” according to the film trailer.
Gordon took home the Maverick Award which “honors an individual who has the courage of their convictions and spares no effort to do the right thing to help those whose life’s work inspires him.”
The event was held at the Seaside Cinema Music Cafe & Sunset Lounge at the Grand Wailea, one of several festival venues this year.
Tonight, the festival continues with an award ceremony for Emma Roberts who will be issued the Shining Star Award at the same venue at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 5.
The Shining Star Award “honors a film artist who dares to dream big dreams and delivers brilliantly charismatic and revelatory performances every time that opportunity knocks.”
Tonight’s featured screenings include:
- Magic Men directed by Guy Nattiv & Erez Tadmor at 8 p.m. at the Seaside Cinema Music Cafe & Sunset Lounge at the Grand Wailea;
- Thundercloud directed by Talon Clemow at 8 p.m. at the Celestial Cinema;
- H2Mexic0 directed by Brent Deal at 10 p.m. at the Celestial Cinema;
- Short Film Showcase One at 4 p.m. at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater;
- Kuma Hina directed by Dean Hamer & Joe Wilson at 6 p.m. at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater;
- X/Y directed by Ryan Piers Williams at 8 p.m. at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater; and
- Journey to Jah directed by Noël Dernesch & Mortiz Springer at 10 p.m. at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater.
Additional scheduled screenings, events, and ticket information can be found on the Maui Film Festival website.