There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi following a preliminary magnitude 6.9 earthquake off the Coast of Central Chile, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The earthquake was reported at 3:55 p.m. HST on Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2015, and the USGS reports the quake was located:
- 58 miles NW of Coquimbo, Chile;
- 60 miles WNW of La Serena, Chile;
- 93 miles WNW of Vicuna, Chile;
- 96 miles NW of Ovalle, Chile; and
- 290 miles NNW of Santiago, Chile.
Again, the PTWC says that based on all available data, a destructive Pacific-Wide tsunami is NOT expected and there is NO tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi.