A Maui woman is recovering today from burns to her body after the cleaning solvent she was handling yesterday afternoon somehow caught fire.
The incident was reported at 2 p.m. on Monday, June 13, 2016 at a home in Kahului.
Authorities say the 71-year-old Kahului woman was cooling her skin with running water when emergency responders arrived on scene.
Maui fire officials say it’s unclear what ignited the liquid product that is routinely used for cleaning auto parts.
The woman was treated by paramedics and transported to the Maui Memorial Medical Center in serious condition.