Our Favorite Hawaiian Pineapple DishesDecember 10, 2010, 11:04 AM HST · Updated December 10, 11:05 AM 0 Comments
Nothing says Hawaii like pineapple, so why not make it a pineapple night at your house by trying out one of these fantastic Hawaiian pineapple dishes? You can incorporate this fresh fruit into your Hawaiian recipes for the best flavor!
Pineapple is always best incorporated into grilled dishes, and it can also be grilled over hot coals for an excellent addition to any meal! Simply slice pineapple into large sections and place over hot grill, turning every few minutes until the pineapple is slightly browned. Add to a chilled salad or with steak or chicken for a Hawaiian-inspired meal!
Pineapple Hawaiian Chicken
- About three pounds of chicken pieces or two small broiler chickens, quartered
- Two tablespoons sugar
- One tablespoon cornstarch
- Two tablespoons each butter and soy sauce
- One can or one pineapple, crushed
Brush chicken pieces with oil and apply the desired seasoning. Broil the chicken, skin side down for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned, turning once. Combine sugar, cornstarch, butter, soy sauce and pineapple and stir over a medium heat until thickened. Spoon mixture over the chicken and broil for an additional five to ten minutes.
Pineapple Chicken Salad
- One whole , fully cooked chicken breast
- Your choice of lettuce, one head
- One can (or two cups fresh) sliced or cubed pineapple
- One half cup cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Radishes and capers, if desired
- Ginger dressing
Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces and arrange it over the lettuce. Layer dish with pineapple slices. Combine cottage cheese, mustard and capers, season it with the desired amount of salt and pepper. Garnish salad with radishes and serve with dressing.
Hawaiian Chicken Salad
- Two cups cooked chicken, shredded
- One half cup celery
- One half cup chopped almonds or pecans
- One half cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- One fresh pineapple or one cup canned pineapple
Combine all ingredients, except for the pineapple and refrigerate it for about two to three hours. Before serving, combine the pineapple.
- One to two pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- One can (or one fresh) pineapple
- One half cup soy sauce
- One tablespoon brown sugar
- One quarter cup vegetable oil
- Two teaspoons each ground ginger, dry mustard, garlic powder
- Green peppers and mushrooms, about two cups each, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Hot cooked rice
In a medium sized bowl, place chicken cubes and pour about one cup of pineapple juice over them. Combine the rest of the ingredients (except for the mushrooms and green peppers) and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Simmer for about five minutes and pour over chicken. Refrigerate for at least two hours. Remove chicken and begin placing it on skewers, alternative with mushrooms and green peppers. Grill over hot coals for about 15 minutes, basting the chicken with the remaining marinade.