DBEDT Updates Kihei, Kahului, Maui County Demographics
Hawaii state, county, and selected smaller area demographic reports from the new 2007-2009 American Community Survey (ACS) 3-Year Estimates are now available from DBEDT.
Of particular interest are reports produced for Kihei, Kahului, and Maui County. As with all the ACS reports, you can find statistics and demographics on population, housing, households and families, nativity and language, geographic mobility, education, disability, industries, occupations and employers, travel to work, income, poverty and participation in government programs.
Interesting Maui County population facts include:
- In 2007-2009, Maui County had a total population of 144,000
- 71,000 (49 percent) females and 73,000 (51 percent) males
- The median age was 38.3 years
- Twenty-three percent of the population was under 18 years and 12 percent was 65 years and older
Interesting Maui County housing facts include:
- In 2007-2009, Maui County had a total of 66,000 housing units
- 26 percent of which were vacant.
- Of the total housing units, 60 percent was in single-unit structures, 40 percent was in multi-unit structures, and less than 0.5 percent was mobile homes
- Thirty percent of the housing units were built since 1990
Some of the new population groups in this 3-year ACS dataset include: Chinese race alone, Korean race alone, Samoan race alone or in combination with one or more races, Micronesians race alone or in combination with one or more race.
The American Community Survey (ACS) is a nationwide survey designed to provide communities more current data than previously available thru the decennial census alone. The survey selects about 3 million housing unit addresses annually, across every county in the nation.
The ACS collects and produces population and housing information, every year instead of every ten years. The ACS produces 1-year, 3-year, and 5-year estimates annually.
All data ACS data releases can be viewed on DBEDT’s website at http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/census/acs/ACS2009/.