By Wendy Osher
A motorcyclist suffered fatal injuries in a vehicle collision near the Kahului Airport on Maui Wednesday night. Maui police identified the man as Kaula Kaauamo, 29, of Haiku, Maui.
According to police reports, Kaauamo was traveling east on the Haleakala Highway (Hwy 37), when he failed to negotiate a turn and collided with a tanker truck. The man was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash and died at the scene.
The accident was reported at around 7:07 p.m. on the Highway, about 0.1 mile east of Aalele Street, near the new cargo area of the airport.
The operator of the tanker truck, a 37-year-old Kahului man, who police say was wearing his seatbelt, was not injured in the crash.
The accident remains under investigation.
- UPDATES: Lahaina Bicyclist Fatally Injured in Honoapiʻilani Crash
- Elderly Pedestrian Dies After Struck by Truck Tractor in Wailuku
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist Succumbs to Injuries from April Crash in Pāʻia
- Motorcyclist Sustains Life-Threatening Injuries in Piʻilani Crash
- UPDATE: Woman Killed in New Year’s Day Crash on Maui