Basketball Coaches Clinic Comes to MauiSeptember 22, 2011, 8:57 AM HST (Updated September 22, 2011, 8:57 AM) · 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
For the second consecutive year, the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational, Chaminade University and Adidas are collaborating to put on a series of Adidas Hoops Clinics for Coaches.
The Maui Clinic will run from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 1, 2011 at Maui High School in Kahului. O’ahu events are planned on September 28 at McKinley High, and September 29 at Kalaheo.
The clinics provide an educational opportunity for coaches and fans to learn playing techniques, coaching skills and overall management styles.
The sessions feature instruction from former Division I NCAA basketball coaches and current D-II Chaminade University coaches.
2011 Coaches include the following:
- Eric Bovaird – Head coach of Chaminade men’s basketball team and former assistant coach at West Liberty University.
- Fran Fraschilla – ESPN college basketball analyst and former head coach at Manhattan College, St. John’s and University of New Mexico.
- Bobby Keanini – Head coach of Chaminade’s women’s basketball team. Keanini was the OIA Eastern Division Girls High School Basketball Coach of the year from 2004-2007.
- Nancy Lieberman – ESPN analyst for NBA, WNBA and NCAA Basketball. Liberman was the first female head coach for a men’s professional team–the Dallas Mavericks’ NBA Development League Team, the Texas Legends.
- Dave Odom – EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Tournament Chairman. Odom was the former head coach at Wake Forest and South Caroline. He coached two-time NBA MVP Tim Duncan.
Coaches and fans can register for the coaches clinics by copying and pasting the following URL into their browser: http://goswords.com/news/2011/8/24/MBB_0824112535.aspx. Cost is $25 to reserve a spot.
More information can be obtained by contacting the Chaminade Athletics Department at (808) 735-4790.
The clinics come as a prelude to the 2011 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational taking place in November.
The Championship Round runs from November 21-23 at the Lahaina Civic Center and features Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA and host Chaminade.