Maui Business

Hawaiʻi Seed Crop Value Drops 10% From Record High

April 11, 2014, 8:52 AM HST
* Updated April 11, 9:16 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Maui Now graphic.

Maui Now graphic.

By Wendy Osher

The US Department of Agriculture released a updated report today saying the value of the seed industry in Hawaiʻi for 2013 was lower than previous estimates and experienced a 10% decline from the previous year.

According to the USDA, Hawaiʻi’s seed industry was valued at $217 million—that’s a drop from the $242 million estimated value a year earlier, when the industry set a record high.

Officials attribute the decline to operating and organizational changes.

Seed corn accounts for $205 million, or 95%, of the total value of Hawaiʻi’s seed industry in 2013, with various other seed crops accounting for the remaining 5%, the updated report said.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

While value was down, there was a 2% increase in acreage harvested to 7,040 acres, and a 15% increase in out-shipments of seed from the state totaling 12.3 million pounds in 2012-13.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments