Prizes Announced for Annual Startup Weekend Maui WinnersMay 5, 2015, 10:28 AM HST · Updated May 12, 9:48 AM 0 Comments
By Maui Now Staff
A total prize package of $3,400 in business services awaits this year’s 2nd Annual Startup Weekend Maui winning team.
The event, presented by the Maui Economic Development Board on May 15 to 17, offers participants an opportunity to launch their start-up business in 54 hours.
- two passes to Maui Economic Opportunity’s Core 4 Business Planning workshop;
- a 36-hour business planning course that helps you analyze your business opportunities and plan for success;
- a Maui Chamber of Commerce one-year membership;
- a one-day rental of the Malcolm Center in Kīhei;
- two hours of branding advice from Sae Design;
- a two-hour digital branding consultation by The Accidental Consultant;
- design of a rack card or business card by Linn Nishikawa & Associates;
- printing of 1,000 rack cards or business cards from Maui Printing Company;
- and two hours of legal advice by McKeon Sheldon Mehling.
“Although only one winning team will receive these business services, ultimately, everyone who participates in Startup Weekend Maui will walk away a winner,” said Gerry Smith of Maui Economic Development Board. “We hope many people take advantage of this one-of-a-kind event. Aspiring entrepreneurs can to see if their start-up ideas are viable in a fun, intense and risk-free weekend; and they’ll receive invaluable advice from an impressive group of judges, coaches and mentors.”
Beginning with open mic pitches on Friday, attendees will present their best ideas and inspire others to join their team.
Over Saturday and Sunday, teams will focus on customer development, validating their ideas, practicing LEAN Startup Methodologies and building a minimal viable product.
On Sunday evening, teams will demo their prototypes and receive valuable feedback from a panel of experts.
According to the national Startup Weekend, over 36% of Startup Weekend start-ups are still going strong after three months. Roughly 80% of participants plan on continuing working with their team or start-up after the weekend.
For more information and to register for the Startup Weekend Maui, go online, or call Gerry Smith at MEDB at (808) 270-6803.
Startup Weekend Maui is hosted by the Maui Economic Development Board. Event sponsors include: County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development, Blue Startups, High Technology Development Corporation, HI-Growth Initiative, Startup Capital Ventures, Pacific Media Group and Sultan Ventures.