The deadline for eligible organizations in Hawaiʻi, Kauaʻi and Maui Counties to submit Requests for Public Assistance for the FEMA PA Grant Program is Oct. 27, 2018.
President Donald J. Trump issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Hawaiʻi on Sept. 27, 2018, triggering the release of Federal funds, specifically Public Assistance and the Hazard Mitigation Grant Programs, from Hurricane Lane that occurred August 22-29, 2018.
FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program provides assistance to State agencies, local governments, and certain Private Non-profits for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and permanent restoration of infrastructure. Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA reimburses eligible applicants 75% of approved costs and the counties pay for the remaining 25%.
Program facilitators say it is critical that county agencies, special districts and certain Private Non-profit organizations that provide essential services in Hawaiʻi, Kauaʻi and Maui Counties file by the deadline. For additional information, contact Hawaii Emergency Management Agency at [email protected]
Private Non-profit organizations may also be eligible for federal reimbursement of up to 75% of their response, repair and restoration costs. Eligible facilities operated by Private Non-profits agencies can include: certain educational facilities; utilities; irrigation facilities; medical facilities; custodial facilities; and fire protection, ambulance, rescue, and other emergency services facilities.
The President’s declaration also makes mitigation grant funding available through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
FEMA provides up to 75% of the eligible activity costs for projects under the HMGP. State agencies, local governments/communities and Private Non-profit organizations are eligible for this program. If approved for this grant, applicants are responsible for funding the remaining 25%. Applicants can use in-kind services and other “soft” matches to fund their share of the cost. Only under eligible circumstances can other Federal funds be used as a match source for this grant.
By law, the state serves as the Grantee, administers the program, and determines the project priorities and activities for awarding the grants.
HMGP funds should be used to fund projects that will reduce or eliminate the losses from future disasters. Projects must provide a long-term solution to a problem. In addition, a project’s potential savings must be more than the cost of implementing the project. Smaller allocations are available for the development and/or update of a multi-hazard mitigation plan, hazard warning systems, and hazard mitigation public education programs.
The deadline for eligible organizations to submit HMGP notices of interest (project identification worksheets) Oct. 31, 2018. For questions, contact Hawaiʻi Emergency Management, Larry Kanda at [email protected]
Additional information about the HMGP is available on the FEMA website . After reviewing notices of interest, the Hawaiʻi Emergency Management Agency will invite eligible applicants to submit their formal grant applications, and then submit them to FEMA for review and award.