Maui Now has an immediate opening for a news writer/reporter on the island of Maui
** Applicants Must Currently Reside in Hawaii **
Employment options: Full time or Part-time
Job duties involve developing digital news stories and content including writing articles, taking photographs and shooting hand-held video when necessary. Qualified applicants will be able and willing to cover breaking news, be adept at event/meeting coverage, coordinate assignments from the news desk and develop sources/story ideas on their own.
Candidates must be passionate about reporting on community issues and must take pride in their work. Candidates for the job must be ethical, resourceful and skilled in gathering and organizing information in a thorough and professional manner in order to maintain the credibility and integrity of Maui Now.
Posting news stories and content on Maui Now's social media platforms is required.
· Knowledge of Associated Press Style Manual
· Knowledge of WordPress
· Knowledge of Hawaiian language and use of diacriticals
· Knowledge of social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram
· Must be a Hawaii resident
· Must have a college degree in journalism, communications, or related field
· Must have excellent writing skills
· Must include a cover letter
· Must include three writing samples
· Must have good news hunting skills
· Must have reliable transportation
· Must have the ability to conduct interviews as a member of the media
· Must have the ability to retain instructions and follow them
· Must be willing to work some non-standard hours
· Must be able to produce content on hard deadlines
Pacific Media Group is a Hawaii-based media company with offices in Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue, Hilo and Kona. PMG owns and operates (20) radio stations, Hawaii Airport Advertising, MauiNow.com, BigIslandNow.com, Paradise Television Network and Digital Advertising Specialists Hawaii / DASH.
Please send resume and writing samples.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time