Maui    News & Information Hub
HEADLINE NEWS Weekly Newsletter

Candle Sparks W. Maui Home Fire, 2 People Displaced

Share |
   October 8th, 2011 · No Disqus Comments · Featured, Maui News

By Wendy Osher

File image by Wendy Osher.

A house fire in West Maui caused an estimated $50,000 in damage and displaced two residents on Saturday afternoon (October 8, 2011).

The cause of the fire was accidental, and was attributed to a burning candle, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

The fire was reported at 1:32 p.m. at 3837 Lower Honoapiilani Road, north of the Honokowai Beach Park, and near the Hale Ono Loa Condominium complex.

When firefighters arrived on scene, one of the four bedrooms in the 1800 square-foot wooden home, was fully involved.

Crews from Engine 11, Engine 3, Ladder 3, and Battalion Chief 4 were dispatched to the scene.

The blaze was brought under control by 1:46 p.m., and was extinguished at 3:17 p.m.

Of the $50,000 in damage, $42,000 was structural, and $8,000 was to contents.

The Red Cross was activated to assist a family of seven, including an infant.  Authorities say two people who were displaced by the fire.

Sign Up To Our Weekly Newsletter 0 Disqus Comments
    Recommend This Article
    Related Stories

    Tags

    Comments
Editor's Note:Maui Now is an open forum and we welcome any views. However, please apply your sense of aloha when posting comments - remarks that are unnecessarily offensive will be blocked.

 
By publishing a comment, you are acknowledging that you are personally responsible for its contents.