Lahaina House Fire Causes $375,000 Damage
By Wendy Osher
A house fire in Lahaina yesterday caused an estimated $375,000 in damage. The fire was first reported by the home owner at 6:20 p.m. on Monday, July 4, 2011 at 852 Kelawea Street in West Maui.
When firefighters from Engine 3 arrived on the scene, they found the single-family residence fully involved. One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion and eight homes were evacuated during the incident.
The evacuations were made as a precaution when firefighters found a 124-gallon propane tank on the property. Authorities issued an all clear on the propane at 11 p.m., and the fire was declared extinguished at 12:36 a.m.
Fire inspectors say the preliminary cause of the blaze is believed to be electrical.
Assisting Engine 3 in fighting the blaze were Ladder 3, Tanker 3, Engine 11, Mini 11, Hazmat 10, Health and Safety and Battalion Chief 6.
*** Supporting information courtesy County of Maui and Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety.