House Approves Funding of Major Maui County CIPs
By Wendy Osher
Several key Capital Improvement Projects on Maui were included in a budget appropriation approved today by the state House.
The items include significant appropriations for Maui County to fix schools, infrastructure and facilities, and were among a list of statewide construction initiatives.
Maui Representative and Speaker of the House, Joe Souki said, “the funding approved by the House will allow us to move forward on much needed repair and maintenance of our public schools on Maui. It also means that we can begin projects like the construction of Kihei High School, build more classrooms for Kaunakakai Elementary and Lahaina Intermediate Schools, and a new auditorium for King Kekaulike High School.”
The House also approved funds for the repair and maintenance, improvements and upgrades for Maui Memorial Medical Center
“As the only major medical facility on Maui, it is essential that such funding is appropriated for the hospital to ensure accessible health care for our citizens,” said Speaker Souki. “Equally important to our residents is the opportunity to participate in activities that promote healthy living and lifestyles and I am pleased that there is in the House CIP budget money to build a sports complex in Central Maui,” he said.
Rep. Souki also noted that the CIP budget also includes funding for improvements to Kahului Airport and the Honoapiilani Highway. “Maintaining our airport and public highways is an investment in our state and county’s top economic driver, tourism. It is also crucial to the safety of our residents and visitors alike,” he said.
Highlights of House CIP Budget for Maui County include the following:
- $65 million to begin construction of new Kihei High School;
- $28 million to build a new auditorium for King Kekaulike High School;
- $1.5 million for classroom building and support improvements at Kaunakakai Elementary School;
- $750,000 for a new classroom building at Lahaina Intermediate School;
- $22.7 million for repair, maintenance, upgrade and improvements for Maui Memorial Medical Center;
- $4.7 million for construction of the Central Maui Region Sports Complex;
- $50 million in federal and other funds for improvements and land acquisition for Kahului Airport;
- $3 million for improvements along Honoapiilani Highway in including shoreline erosion mitigation; and
- $2.9 million to acquire land for a new two lane highway from Kihei to up-country Maui.
The CIP budget now advances to the Senate for further consideration. Once approved by the House and Senate the funds are released at the discretion of the Governor.
***Supporting information courtesy State House of Representatives.