Festivals of Aloha Week in Hāna, Oct. 19-26
By Wendy Osher
The upcoming Festivals of Aloha travels to the east side of the island from Oct. 19 to 26, as part of an annual state-wide celebration of Hawaiian culture.
“Known for its stunning natural beauty and timeless local customs, the charming small town of Hāna is the perfect location to host this festival,” said company officials with Travaasa Hāna, which will be participating in various activities throughout the event.
According to the event website, there are a number of activities planned including a Hoʻolauleʻa, fishing tournament, ʻUlu Cook-off, and Hawaiian music. A full schedule of events includes the following:
- Oct. 19:
- Hāna Parade and Celebration: featuring the Hāna Royal Court, floats, vintage cars, Hāna athletic teams, and a presentation of the “Tiny Malaikini” public service award.
- Hawaiian Culture Demonstration Tent: featuring coconut baskets, lauhala weaving, haku lei making, and Makahiki games at the Hāna Ball Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Hāna’s Summer 23rd Class vs. Class Volleyball Tournament, at Hāna Ball Park with concessions available from 3 to 10 p.m.
- Oct. 20, Ohana Beach Day: Keiki and Wahine shoreline fishing tournament from 7 to 8 a.m. Check-in is at 7:30 a.m. Live entertainment from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and food booths open to the public at Hāna Bay from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Oct. 21, Sports Night at the Park: Tennis Doubles tournament and Volleyball games at Hāna Ball Park from 4 to 9 p.m.
- Oct. 22:
- Keiki Aloha Attire Contest at Helene Hall from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Tennis Doubles tournament and Volleyball games at Hāna Ball Park from 4 to 9 p.m.
- Oct. 23, Movie in the Park: from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at Hāna Ball Park. *Helene Hall is alternate site if a rain out occurs.
- Oct. 24:
- Travassa Hotel Hāna: Cultural activities normally held exclusively for hotel guests will be open to everyone wearing a 2013 Festivals of Aloha ribbon. Activities include: ʻUlu Maika and Niu Bowling from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Contact hotel for more information.
- MIL Football, Hāna Dragons vs. Molokaʻi Farmers at Hāna Ball Park. Concessions available from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Oct. 25: Hāna’s Got Talent, presented by Hāna Arts at Hāna Ball Park from 6 to 10 p.m.
- Oct. 26:
- Cross Country Golf, Holani Hale, Papaʻauʻhau from 7 to 10 a.m.: Call Francis Sinenci for more information: 281-2730; email [email protected]
- Hōʻike Night: A special evening of Hawaiian entertainment, food, culture and Hawaiian music and Hula, Poke contest, Hāna Herb Pohole Contest, Kahanu Gardens ʻUlu Cook-off and Lei & Floral Contest, at Hāna Ball Park, from 6 to 10 p.m.
- Oct. 20 to 26: National Tropical Botanical Garden Special for Festivals of Aloha ribbon holders. Kahanu Garden is offering a free unguided tour during the week from October 20 to 25, and a free guided tour on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 10 a.m. For more information, go to www.ntbg.org or call (808) 248-8912.