Explore Everything Coffee at 7th Annual Seed to Cup Festival
By Vanessa Wolf
This Saturday, Aug. 16, the Maui Coffee Association presents their 7th Annual Seed to Cup Coffee Festival.
Beginning at 9 a.m., the event is held at the Maui Tropical Plantation in Wailuku and offers displays and demonstrations of coffee processing and brewing methods, food, live music, a silent auction and a fashion show.
Presented by the students at the UH Fashion Technology program, all the clothing created for the runway uses creative coffee-related materials such as coffee bags and stirring sticks.
All that caffeine making you jittery?
The Mill Houses’ Chef Marc McDowell is whipping up a variety of gourmet, coffee-inspired and infused food for sale.
Enjoy such offerings as:
- Molokai Muleskinner Coffee-rubbed lamb chop on citrus polenta.
- Maui grown coffee and cocoa scented buffalo chili served with cinnamon tortilla crisps.
- Keokea Farms Coffee and anchiote-rubbed grilled flank steak fajitas with fire roasted bell peppers, caramelized Maui onions, Meyer lemon crème fraiche and brie cheese.
- Hawaiian espresso cheesecake with spiced graham cracker crust and mocha foam.
- Fresh Kumu Farms mixed greens with roasted beets drizzled with Kula Beans Coffee dressing.
- Popcorn, shave ice and some keiki food offerings (hot dogs, etc.)
Chef McDowell is also offering non-alcoholic and adult coffee drinks.
Beverages available for purchase include:
-ginger simple syrup
dark sweet rum
Attendees can also anticipate displays and demonstrations of coffee processing equipment, coffee pulping, hulling, roasting and brewing throughout the day.
Moreover, methods and techniques that can be used by the backyard coffee grower will be displayed and demonstrated throughout the afternoon.
In addition to the food and drinks offered by the Mill House, local coffee farmers will be there with roasted coffee beans and brewed hot and cold coffee for sale.
Events run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and are free to the public.