- Maui Now - https://mauinow.com -

Ask the Mayor: How Can I Report Illegal Rentals?

Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Q: The houses across the street from us are very likely using the premises as an illegal short-term vacation rental. They let out like they are letting friends stay there, but I don’t really believe it. No one has that many friends good enough to turn over their home to for free. How are we supposed to handle a situation like this?

A: Cracking down on illegal short-term rentals and building more long-term, affordable housing continues to be among my top priorities. Maui County’s Zoning and Enforcement Division monitors for all permitted and illegal vacation rentals.

Residents can do their part by submitting a Request for Service if they suspect an illegal rental. The RFS process serves as the county’s one-stop information and assistance program that can help answer county-related questions and help address issues with county services.

To report illegal rentals, visit https://www.mauicounty.gov/1776/Request-for-Service [1] or call the Zoning and Enforcement Division at 270-7253.

Want to ask the Mayor?

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected] [2], by phone at (808) 270-7855 or via mail to 200 S. High Street, ninth floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.