Councilmember Molina Requests a Comprehensive Affordable Housing Plan
Maui County Councilmember Michael Molina transmitted a proposed resolution to the County Council requesting a comprehensive affordable housing plan.
His resolution asks Council Chair Alice Lee to issue a Request For Proposals for the compilation of a plan to assess and review the following:
- The viability of existing and proposed housing projects;
- Availability of parcels of land, infrastructure and community services;
- Assessing various efforts for enhancing the availability of affordable housing such as:
- The bifurcation of the Department of Housing and Human Concerns;
- Use of County owned parcels for housing;
- Increasing the annual appropriation to the Affordable Housing Fund or other funding options;
- The creation of a Housing Authority or Housing Czar;
- Potential revisions to regulations such as the Residential Workforce Housing Ordinance and the permit review process;
- Expansion and review of existing housing programs and opportunities.
“The proposed Plan would take a completely different approach from the needs studies the State and the County have conducted over recent years,” said Molina. “It’s time we focus on a Plan that will help us to make affordable units a reality.”
“The County needs to review its assesses, programs and procedures to determine how best to use these resources to our advantage,” he said.
Although Chair Lee has the authority to issue the RFP on her own, Molina said he wanted to submit the request to the Council for their consideration “to show a sign of unity for this effort.”
“I realize the community is focused on the potential impacts of the COVID-19 virus and our ability to function,” said Molina, “However, we still have families in need of safe, clean and affordable housing.”
The proposed resolution will be considered at the County Council meeting of April 3, 2020, at 9 a.m. in the Council Chamber.
* Mike Molina is Chair of the Council’s Governance, Ethics, and Transparency Committee. He holds the council seat for the Makawao-Haʻikū-Pāʻia residency area.