HMSA Foundation Awards $225,000 for Community Health ProgramsJanuary 24, 2011, 10:26 PM HST (Updated January 25, 2011, 9:35 AM) · 0 Comments
The HMSA Foundation is a nonprofit, tax-exempt, private charitable organization founded in Hawaii in 1986. The mission of the HMSA Foundation is to extend HMSA’s commitment to provide community access to cost-effective health care services, promote health, provide health education and relevant research, and improve social welfare in Hawaii.
The Foundation looks most favorably on grant requests focused on research projects, demonstration projects, organizational or community capacity building and start up programs.
The Foundation funded the following projects in the final quarter of 2010:
· Equality Hawaii Foundation: $5,000 to support the 2011 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Youth Human Services Competency Conference.
· Frank De Lima’s Student Enrichment Program: $5,000 to support the Student Enrichment Program, which provides drug education and drug abuse prevention information to students.
· Hawaii State Center for Nursing: $100,000 to support the Hawaii Partners Investing in Nursing program, which supports nurse recruitment and retention in long-term care facilities on Kauai and the Big Island.
· Hilo Medical Center Foundation: $25,000 to support the Long-Term Care Mobility Van project, which assists Hilo Medical Center’s long-term care residents and patients with transportation.
· The Institute for Human Services, Inc: $35,000 to support the establishment of a nurse-managed health clinic at the Institute for Human Services, Inc. (IHS) Emergency Homeless Shelter in Honolulu. The new clinic will also be a teaching site for nurse practitioners and medical students.
· Hawaii Initiative for Childhood Obesity Research and Education (HICORE) (University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics) $55,000 to support the Hawaii 5-2-1-0 Let’s Go Initiative, which addresses childhood obesity in Hawaii.
The HMSA Foundation accepts online grant applications throughout the year and reviews submissions four times per year. The next application deadline is April 1, 2011. For more information on the HMSA Foundation, visit hmsafoundation.org.