By Wendy Osher
Top caliber high school boys basketball will be showcased on Maui during the holiday season.
The 3rd Annual Lahainaluna Invitational tournament (formerly the Christmas Classic) will take place December 19 – 22, 2011 at the world class Lahaina Civic Center.
The tournament comes on the heels of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational college basketball tournament, held each November at the same venue.
There will be a total of 18 teams competing in two conferences: the ALII conference featuring elite teams from California, Washington, and British Columbia, Canada; and the MAUI conference consisting of local MIL and Canadian teams.
“We are thrilled with the quality and quantity of this year’s event,” said tournament spokesman Dan Williams.
“Fans are in for a special treat during this special time of the year. We are excited to host teams, players and their fans and families in the true spirit of Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka,” said Williams.
Visiting teams from the Mauka Division include:
- Mount Si (Washington): Finished 3rd in the ‘AAA’ Seattle League last year.
- San Pedro (CA): 2011 LA City Div 2 final four, 2009 Marine League champs.
- Redondo Union (CA): Coming off 2–2 record as hosts of 60th Annual Pacific Shores tournament; finished 15-‐13 last year, 2nd in Bay League, and 2nd round of CIF-‐SS Div A. This is their fourth trip to Maui in the last six years.
- Oaks Christian (CA): won the Southern section Div 4 ‘A’ championship title.
Visiting teams from the Makai Division include:
- Provo (Utah): Has won three Utah State tiles in the last 10 years, more than any other school.
- Mission Viejo (CA): ranked #4 in Orange County (South Coast League); Lost CIF finals year in OT; Won title in 2004.
- Inglewood (CA): A Division 2 team from the Ocean League.
- White Rock Christian Academy (British Columbia, Canada): five-time BC Champs; also ‘AAA’ final four in 12 of last 16 years.
Teams on the Maui Conference schedule include:
- Maui High: Coming off a 4-‐8 record in the MIL least year.
- Sullivan Heights (British Columbia, Canada): Finished 15-‐14 last year in the Fraser Valley Zone of British Columbia ‘AAA’ Basketball.
- King Kekaulike: finished 4-‐6 in MIL Div. 1 play last year.
- Seabury Hall
- Baldwin: Bears recently won consolation title at Jimmy Alegre Tournament on Oahu; also members of the MIL Div. 1.
- Hilo: BIIF runners up last year; 2009 champions; also qualified for the States for the past two years.
- Molokai: runners up in MIL Div 2 play last year; Champions in 2009 and went on to finish fourth in States.
- Kamehameha: won MIL titles in 2007-‐08.
- Cowichan (British Columbia, Canada): Finished 3rd in league play last year.
- Lahainaluna: MIL Champions in the past two years; 23-‐6 record last year, lost in state quarter finals.
The tournament tips off daily at 9 a.m., except Wednesday when play will start at 8:30 a.m.
Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for those twelve years of age and under, and free for those five years of age and under.
The schedule is as follows:
Monday, Dec. 19, 2011
- 9 a.m.: Maui High vs Sullivan Heights
- 10:30 a.m.: Mount Si vs Redondo Beach
- 12 p.m.: Oaks Christian vs San Pedro
- 1:30 p.m.: Provo vs Inglewood
- 3 p.m.: Mission Viejo vs White Rock
- 4:30 p.m.: King Kekaulike vs Seabury Hall
- 6 p.m.: Baldwin vs Hilo
- 7:30 p.m.: Lahainaluna vs Cowichan
Tuesday, Dec 20, 2011
- 9 a.m.: Molokai vs Maui High
- 10:30 a.m.: Sullivan Heights vs King Kekaulike
- 12 p.m.: Cowichan vs Baldwin
- 1:30 p.m.: Redondo Beach vs San Pedro
- 3 p.m.: Provo vs Mission Viejo
- 4:30 p.m.: Inglewood vs White Rock
- 6 p.m.: Mount Si vs Oaks Christian
- 7:30 p.m.: Hilo vs Lahainaluna
Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011
- 8 a.m.: San Pedro vs Mount Si
- 9:30 a.m.: Baldwin vs Molokai
- 11 a.m.: King Kekaulike vs Hilo
- 12:30 p.m.: White Rock vs Provo
- 2 p.m.: Maui High vs Cowichan
- 3:30 p.m.: Kamehameha vs Seabury Hall
- 5 p.m.: Oak Christian vs Redondo Beach
- 6:30 p.m.: Lahainaluna vs Sullivan Heights
- 8 p.m.: Mission Viejo vs Inglewood
Thursday, Dec. 22, 2011
- 9 a.m.: Seabury Hall vs Hilo
- 10:30 a.m.: 3rd Mauka Div. vs 3 rd Makai Div.
- 12 p.m.: Molokai vs King Kekaulike
- 1:30 p.m.: Cowichan vs Kamehameha
- 3 p.m.: Sullivan Heights vs Baldwin
- 4:30 p.m.: 2nd Mauka Div. vs 2nd Makai Div.
- 6 p.m.: Lahainaluna vs 4th Makai Div.
- 7:30 p.m.: 1st Mauka Div. vs 1st Makai Div.