Final Maui Charter Commission Outreach in Pukalani, Jan. 25January 23, 2012, 4:42 PM HST · Updated January 23, 4:43 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The last in a series of community outreach meetings hosted by the Maui Charter Commission takes place this Wednesday in Pukalani.
The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. on January 25, 2012 at the Hannibal Tavares Center.
It is the last outreach effort before the Commission begins work to refine a list of possible charter amendment proposals.
Chair Josh Stone encouraged interested residents to take this opportunity to share their thoughts. “Our commission has worked very hard on these issues and would like to get the public’s input on them. After this final public meeting we will get to work finalizing our proposals for the voters,” he said in a press release today.
After months of deliberation, the commission arrived at a list of 21 proposed amendments including proposals that would:
- Change the term of office for the County Council from two to four years.
- Create a lifetime limit on the number of terms a Council Member can have.
- Return Maui County to partisan elections.
- Change residency requirements for Mayoral and Council candidates to 1 year.
- Create an independent County Auditor.
- Change the County’s budget cycle from annual to biennial.
- Give the County responsibility for Sustainability and Environmental Protection.
- Move County Lifeguard operations to the Fire Department.
- Require that the County set up communications systems to allow Lanai, Molokai, and Hana residents to testify at Council meetings remotely.
- Require the Fire Commission to review the Fire Chief’s personnel actions annually.
The Commission has a June deadline to give its recommended proposals to the County Clerk so that they can appear on the November 2012 ballot.
The 11-member Charter Commission is tasked with reviewing the County Charter, which sets the structure of County government.
More information on the Charter Commission and a full list of proposals is available at the County of Maui website at the following direct link: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=1791
*** Supporting information courtesy County of Maui.