21st East Maui Taro Festival this WeekendApril 19, 2013, 11:17 AM HST (Updated April 19, 2013, 4:39 PM) · 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The 21st Annual East Maui Taro Festival takes place this weekend, April 20 and 21, in Hāna.
The event is free and features a farmers market, poi pounding, arts and crafts, music and hula.
There’s also a kalo (taro) pancake breakfast and tours of the Mahele Farm at ʻUlaʻino, and a Loʻi Excursion at the Kapahu Living Farm in Kīpahulu.
Saturday, April 20, 2013, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Hāna Ball Park:
- Farmer’s market, poi pounding, food booths, arts and crafts, information tent, music and hula, emceed by Kanaido and Kaunoa
- Oli by Kaleikoa Kaʻeo; Blessing by ʻAhahui Kaʻahumanu Society
- Entertainment: Bluegrass keiki, Steve Sargenti, Kaui Kanakaʻole’s Hālau Hula, Leokāne and CJ, Uncle Richard Hoʻopiʻi, Ola Hou, Cosma sisters, Lava Moon, Danny Estocado, Tuesday Night’s Mic Gang & Hāna Open Mic’rs, and Willie K.
Sunday, April 21, 2013:
- Taro Pancake Breakfast at Hāna Bay, Sponsored by the Hāna Business Council, 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Kahanu Garden Tours, National Tropical Botanical Garden and Piʻilanihale Heiau, 11 a.m.
- Mahele Farm at ʻUlaʻino: farm tour 12:30 p.m.
- Kapahu Living Farm, Loʻi Excursion hosted by the Kīpahulu ʻOhana and Haleakalā National Park, open from 11 a.m.