2011 FedExCup Kick-Off featuring Keali’i Reichel
By Wendy Osher
Today is the kick-off event for the 2011 FedExCup featuring entertainment by award-winning recording artist and kumu hula, Keali’i Reichel, ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro, a long drive contest, and more. It’s all part of this year’s Hyundai Tournament of Champions taking place this week in Kapalua on Maui.
Today’s festivities start at 2 p.m. with televised live coverage on The Golf Channel from 3-5 p.m. The FedExCup features golf pros and celebrities and is a benefit for the non-profit Maui Family and Support Services.
Entertainment featuring both Reichel and Shimabukuro takes place on the 1st Tee.
The Pro/Celebrity Charity Challenge features a list of celebrities and golf greats. 2010 FedExCup Champion Jim Furyk joins Anthony Kim, Dustin Johnson, Graeme McDowell, pro surfer Kelly Slater, and more on Holes #1, 2 and 9 at the Plantation Course.
Other Golf happenings today:
- Dan Boever, the Senior World Long Drive Champion will shows off his trick shots as part of the event.
- Long Drive Contest with Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Robert Garrigus and ’09 RE/MAX World Long Drive Champion, Jamie Sadlowski.
There’s also free entertainment daily after the last putt, taking place at around 5 p.m. Thursday, January 6 to Sunday, January 9, 2011.
- Thursday, Jan. 6: Gail Swanson. Influenced by a wide range of singer/songwriters including Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Bonnie Raitt and more, Gail’s style is acoustic rock crossed with folk and country genres.
- Friday, Jan. 7: Jimmy Mac & The Kool Kats. Covering everything from funk to Motown, Buffet to the Beach Boys, disco to swing, ballads to good old rock & roll!
- Saturday, Jan. 8: AnDen. An eclectic mixture of Island, Rock steady Ska, and Latin fusion influenced rhythms.
- Sunday, Jan. 9: George Kahumoku Jr. Grammy Award & Hoku Award-winning master slack key guitarist, songwriter and world-traveling performer.
All events are free and open to the public.