Upper Kula water Maintenance aimed at Reducing Bacteria GrowthJanuary 7, 2011, 2:47 PM HST · Updated January 10, 9:08 AM 0 Comments
Some Maui residents in Kula may notice a chlorine taste and smell to water over the next month. Beginning tomorrow, January 8, 2011, the Maui Department of Water Supply will switch the distribution system disinfectant in the Upper Kula water system from chloramines to chlorine.
The temporary switch will continue for five weeks, ending around February 15, 2011. Water department officials say the switch is necessary in order to conduct maintenance on the 12-inch transmission line.
The work will only affect the Upper Kula water system, and will not affect customers in the Olinda area. The chlorine disinfectant is the same product used in the Lower Kula and Makawao water systems.
Water official say the temporary conversion will help to reduce any possible bacterial growth that may be occurring in the water system, particularly at the end of waterlines or in customer homes.
Officials with the Maui Department of water supply say the smell and taste of the water is normal and poses no health risk. To reduce the chlorine smell or taste, customers can put water in a pitcher and refrigerate it prior to consumption to allow the chlorine to dissipate.
For kidney dialysis patients, no change or adjustment is needed. The processes already in place to remove chloramines in the water, will remove chlorine.
Fish tank owners without filters on their tanks may want to let the water sit for a few hours before adding fish so that the chlorine can dissipate. If the tank already has a filter, no adjustment is needed.
(Posted by Wendy Osher)