Get Heart Health with Free Malama Pu‘uwai Program
By Wendy Osher
The Maui Memorial Medical Center (MMMC) offers a free program on cardiovascular wellness. The spring session of Malama Pu‘uwai or “Take Care of Your Heart” starts Wednesday, May 18 and runs through, June 22, 2011.
The session runs on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 to 8p.m. at the Kaunoa Senior Center in Sprecklesville at 401 Alapaka Place.
The Malama Pu‘uwai program focuses on education, healthy food choices, exercise, screening and referrals. It is aimed at promoting wellness through early detection and modification of cardiovascular disease risk factors.
The six-week program is free and open to the public, however, pre-registration is required and space is very limited. Participants must commit to the full program with followup meetings and continuous participant contact over a 15-month period.
Meetings are held once per week for two-and-a-half hours. After the program has concluded, three and nine month follow-up newsletters will be mailed, and at six and 12 months follow-up meetings will be held.
The following is offered as part of the program to participants free of charge:
- Health Assessment and Lifestyle Profile
- Blood Pressure evaluation
- Body Mass Index
- Ankle Brachial Index (if indicated)
- Laboratory tests- Blood glucose, Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL etc.
- Counseling with RN concerning assessment data and results of screenings
- 30 minutes of exercise each week
- Healthy food choices
- Referrals to health care professionals as appropriate
- Education on Cardiovascular risk factors including- Hypertension, Diabetes, Tobacco & Chemical Effects on Health, Stress Management, Fitness, Nutrition and Motivation to Change
- Assistance in lifestyle goal setting and strategies
- A healthy meal is offered at each session and is sponsored by the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation.
For more information or to register for the next Malama Pu’uwai, contact Kim at 243-3047.