Lāna‘i Recycling Event Offers Free Appliance Disposal
By Wendy Osher
Lāna‘i residents have the opportunity to drop off appliances and metals for recycling during a special three-day event in October.
Residents are asked to bring their appliances, metals and related items to the Lāna‘i Recycling & Redemption Center (12th Street and Fraser Avenue, behind the Castle & Cooke administration offices) between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. from October 14-16, 2011.
Items being accepted include:
- Scrap metal, vehicle batteries, air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, ice machines, water heaters, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, ovens, and microwaves.
- Tires are being accepted for recycling. Event organizers suggest a $5 per tire donation for this service.
- Gas cylinders, including air bottles, shock absorbers, and propane and other gas tanks, will be accepted if they are de-valved and have a hole in them to confirm they are empty.
- Cable wire and banding must be cut into three-foot lengths, metal banding must be cut into 1-foot lengths and all aerosol cans must be empty and crushed or punctured with plastic caps removed.
Items NOT accepted include the following:
- Metal paint cans, any asbestos containing items, electronics; furniture, land-fillable household trash, or green-waste.
- Vehicles (whole or parts) will not be accepted during this collection event. To arrange for residential vehicle recycling, call (808) 877-2524.
This recycling opportunity is free for residents only. Commercial entities will be allowed to dispose of items for a fee.
Event organizers ask the public’s kōkua (help), to not dump once the event has concluded.
The special recycling event is hosted by the Community Work Day Program in coordination with the County of Maui’s Department of Environmental Management, Abandoned Vehicles and Metals Section, and Castle & Cooke Resorts.
*** Supporting information courtesy, County of Maui.