Ho`okipa Park Restrooms Re-open, Pavillions Closed
By Wendy Osher
County preparations and renovations are underway in preparation for the upcoming Maui Makani Classic at Ho`okipa Park.
The event features the championships for the American Windsurfing Tour, and is scheduled to run from October 27th through November 1st.
Crews plan to reopen park restrooms on Monday, October 10th after having closed them for renovations last week.
At the same time, county crews will be closing down the park pavilions from October 10th to the 13th for repainting. The pavilions will reopen for use on the weekend, then close again from October 17th to the 20th.
While renovation work is going on, park patrons are asked to stay clear of the pavilions and other work areas for their own safety.
Renovation work is slated for completion prior to the start of the Maui Makani Classic. The competition will run three days within the six day window. A decision on whether or not to run the contest will be made by 11 a.m. daily and will be posted on the contest website at www.AmericanWindsurfingTour.com.
The schedule of events associated with the competition include:
- Wednesday, October 26: Makani Classic Opening Night at 5 p.m. at the Kahului Ale House
- Thursday, October 27: Goya & Quarto Party from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Pauwela Cannery in Haiku
- Friday, October 28: Fourth Friday in Paia town from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, October 29: Maui Ultra Lounge Party from 6 to 10 p.m. at Neil Pryde Maui in Kahului
- Sunday, October 30: Pizza with the Pros from 6 to 10 p.m. at Flatbread Pizza in Paia
- Monday, October 31: “Back on Front” Halloween in Lahaina
- Tuesday, November 1: Makani Classic Closing Ceremonies at 5 p.m. at the Old Maui High School – Tickets are $10 each.
Free parking for the event will be made available via a shuttle from the Old Maui High School campus.