Hawai’i Election Filing Deadline NearsMay 30, 2012, 8:59 AM HST · Updated June 7, 5:10 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The Office of Elections issued a reminder to individuals who want to run for office, that the candidate filing deadline for the 2012 election cycle is Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
The office recommends individuals to avoid waiting until the last day to file. Authorities also suggest that potential candidates obtain more than the minimum number of voter signatures required for the office they are seeking.
At last report, 136 people have filed for the 120 seats up for election this year; however, there were 38 seats with no officially filed candidates.
The primary election will be held on August 11, 2012.
Nomination papers can be obtained and filed at the following locations:
For Federal and State Elective Offices:
- Office of Elections: 802 Lehua Ave., Pearl City, Hawaii 96782. Phone: 808-453-VOTE. Neighbor Islands Toll Free: 1-800-442-VOTE. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Office of Elections – Satellite Office: State Office Tower, 235 South Beretania St., Room 203, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For Mayor and City Council only: (City & County of Honolulu)
- Office of the City Clerk, Elections Division: Honolulu Hale, 530 South King St., Room 100, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Phone: 808-768-3800. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For Federal, State, and County Elective Offices in Their Respective Counties:
- Office of the County Clerk: Elections Division, 25 Aupuni St., Suite 1502, Hilo, Hawaii 96720. Phone: 808-961-8277. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed Friday, June 1.
- Hawai’i County, Elections Division: Satellite Desk – Kona, West Hawaii Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Hwy., Building B, 2nd floor, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740. Phone: 808-961-8277. Hours: Monday – Friday, by appointment only, closed Friday, June 1.
- Office of the County Clerk: 200 South High St., Room 708, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Phone: 808-270-7749. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Office of the County Clerk, Elections Division, 4386 Rice St., Room 101, Lihue, Hawaii 96766. Phone: 808-241-4800. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.