Maui News

Unattended Oven Sparks Nahiku Home Fire

May 31, 2012, 8:33 AM HST
* Updated May 31, 11:11 AM
A
A
A

File photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A Nahiku home was destroyed by fire overnight, when the homeowner left the oven on and unattended, officials said.

The fire was first reported at 11:46 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30, 2012.

When crews from the Hana Fire Station arrived on the scene, the 900-square-foot wooden structure was fully engulfed, according to Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.

An engine, tanker and mini truck from the Hana Fire Station responded to the scene, and were able to get the blaze under control by 1:58 a.m., and extinguished by 6:33 this morning.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire officials estimate the damage to the structure and its contents at $250,000.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Authorities say the structure was located behind the Nahiku Marketplace near mile marker 29 of the Hana Highway.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments