Arakawa Administration Plans Meetings on FY 2013-2014 Budget
By Wendy Osher
Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa joins his administration in hosting a series of community meetings in September and October to gather public input on the 2013-2014 fiscal year budget.
The public is invited to attend and offer testimony as an individual, or on behalf of an organization.
The meetings provide an opportunity for the public to present what they believe is needed for their area.
Budget Director Sandy Baz will provide information on projects and initiatives proposed by the administration for specific communities.
Input from the meetings will be taken into consideration when the administration constructs its budget for the 2013-2014 fiscal year.
“I encourage people to participate in these community meetings as much as possible,” said Mayor Arakawa in a statement. “This is their time to voice their opinions and tell us their priorities for their communities. Putting together the Maui County budget is a process in which everyone should have a part,” he said.
Meetings are offered in various districts across the county with times and locations as follows:
- South Maui: Tuesday, September 11 at 6 p.m., Kihei Community Center
- Paia/Haiku: Thursday, September 13 at 6 p.m., Paia Community Center
- East Maui: Monday, September 17 at 5:45 p.m., Helene Hall
- Upcountry: Wednesday, September 19 at 6 p.m., Mayor Hannibal Tavares Community Center
- West Maui: Monday, October 1 at 6 p.m., Lahaina Civic Center
- Central Maui: Tuesday, October 2 at 5:45 p.m., Velma Santos Center
- Molokai: Wednesday, October 17 at 5:45 p.m.. Mitchell Pauole Center
- Lanai: Tuesday, October 23 at 5:45 p.m., Lanai Senior Center
The program office of the Community Development Block Grant will conduct public hearings preceding the mayor’s budget community meetings in East Maui, Molokai, Central Maui and Lanai.
CDBG funds received will be utilized for housing and community development needs primarily benefiting low and moderate income persons.
***Supporting information courtesy: County of Maui, Office of the Mayor.