Omaopio Fire Burns Warehouse Structure
By Wendy Osher
A structure fire in Omaopio over the weekend caused an estimated $116,000 in damage. Fire officials have since determined that the blaze was caused by overheating equipment.
(Posted: 11:01 p.m. 9/29/12)
Firefighters on Maui responded to a structure fire at 3361 Omaopio Road on Saturday night.
The incident was reported at 7:48 p.m. on Saturday, September 29, 2012, at a 2,000-square-foot warehouse located on the property.
When fire crews arrived on scene, the warehouse, which is used for an office, greenhouse, and two bedrooms, was approximately 30% involved in the fire, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.
The structure was unoccupied, no one was injured, and the assistance of the Red Cross was not necessary, he said.
Among the crews responding to the scene were Engine 13, Engine 5, and Tanker 10.
Officials called the fire under control at 8:27 p.m.
No information on damage estimates were available, as investigators remained on scene at last report.