Ask the Mayor: Illegal Structures; Who Removes Roadkill?

February 12, 2013, 7:05 PM HST · Updated February 13, 10:48 PM

Editor’s note: “Ask the Mayor” will be published periodically – leave a comment below or use the contact details provided to submit your question.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

Mayor Arakawa. File photo by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Arakawa. File photo by Wendy Osher.

Dear Mayor,

Q:  I want to file a complaint about my neighbor, who I think is putting up an illegal structure on his property next door. Can I make an anonymous complaint?


A:  There are several ways to notify county departments that you suspect unregulated or illegal activity. However, only complaints that include the complainant’s legal name and contact information will be researched and/or investigated. While the complainant’s name will be disclosed to the alleged offender upon request, contact information will not be released. The county’s Request for Service (RFS) program provides an important connection between government and our community, and this policy helps ensure that complaints received can be verified. To register a complaint, visit the county website at and follow the instructions. If you do not have access to a computer, you can call a county department directly and ask to file a complaint. As public servants, we do our best to meet the needs of our community, and appreciate feedback that is constructive and courteous.

Dear Mayor,

Q:  Yesterday I passed a large dead animal on the side of the road near my home. Who should I call to get it removed?

A: If the dead animal is a smaller animal such as a dog or cat, you should call the Maui Humane Society at 877-3680 for removal. If the animal is larger, such as a pig, axis deer or cow, you should call the county’s Highways Division (Dept. of Public Works) at 270-7869. If you know that the dead animal is located along a state road or highway, please contact the state Highways division at 873-3535.

Dear Mayor,

Q:  I’m new to riding the bus, and one day I was waiting at my usual stop when a Maui Bus drove right by without stopping. Do you know why that might have happened?

A:  You may have seen one of the county’s paratransit vehicles, which serve disabled riders and also bear the Maui Bus logo. These are smaller vehicles of varying sizes with the Maui Bus logo, that do not have route numbers posted on the front of the bus. If not, perhaps the driver did not see you, if you were not waiting near the bus stop sign post or were standing in a shaded area. If the bus you are waiting for is delayed, you can call the Maui Bus hotline at 871-4838 and ask the dispatcher for an update. Roberts Hawaii runs the operations for Maui Bus, and staffs the phones from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. You can also visit for detailed information on bus routes, stops and fares, as well as the Google Transit ride-mapping feature. Maui Bus is the fastest-growing public transportation system in the nation, and I’m glad you are taking advantage of Maui County’s excellent transportation system.


County of Maui:

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about Maui County to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793.  Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.



Share this Article

Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):

Weekly Newsletter

View Comments